European SMEs as ‘ambassadors’ at Web Summit
The Enterprise Europe Network (EEN), the world’s largest EU-funded support network for SMEs, is a key instrument in the EU’s strategy to boost growth and jobs. It is designed to help SMEs innovate and succeed by providing strategy and local advice. EISMEA requested media relations support for raising awareness of their EEN ambassadors’ participation at the 2021 edition of the Lisbon-based Web Summit, a technology conference held annually since 2010 with attendees including start-ups and tech companies. The goal of media relations was to improve the Network’s credibility among start-ups and technology SMEs by showing how similar companies can benefit from the EEN, as well as raise the profile of the Network and reinforce its reputation with key influencers in the technology sector.
Action Public Sector provided a media strategy, promoting both the finalists’ and then the winners’ stories in seven countries (two finalists were from the same country). The companies spanned a diverse range of industries from the textile and fashion industry to robotics, pharmaceuticals, the agro-food sector, wastewater treatment, to cutting edge medical and laser technology. The objective was to reach media in a wide spectrum, not only general, but economic, as well as specialised press by using the ‘story-telling’ tool. The companies’ spokespeople described in a video how they started, what steps they took and what their secrets were to reach their position in the business world now, also describing the invaluable support of the EEN. The media relations strategy was based on two phases: first, promoting the finalist stories by making the national media interested in the nominees and bring the general audience on their side. Then, in two weeks’ time, after the announcement of the winners, the focus shifted on their stories that the national media waited for and covered overwhelmingly in their countries.
- Action Public Sector led all media-relations communications, managing and coordinating with various stakeholders including media, EISMEA contacts, Enterprise Europe Network representatives and ambassadors in the 3 countries
- 19 media coverages, including Germany’s prestigious Deutsche Welle, over a one-month period
- 1 press release distributed across 3 focus countries: Czech Republic, Germany and Portugal
- 3 international journalists (from the 3 focus countries) present at the event
- Reaching over 20 million people